Basics: Project 135g
Project name: How to create or modify the title block of the schematic sheet in KiCad v5
Tags: KiCad, KiCad v5, title block, schematics sheet, adjusting title block format and content, modify the title block of the schematic sheet in KiCad v5
We will learn how to create/modify the title block of the schematic sheet in KiCad v5.
In KiCAD, you can customize the title block to fit your design. You can also specify which information you want to display.
Step by Step Instruction
- Double-click on KiCad shortcut.
2. There are two steps to change the title block of the schematics sheet. On the picture below you can see two different buttons marked : 1 – Schematic Layout Editor (Eeschema), 2 – Page Layout Editor.
3. First of all, click on Page layout Editor button.
4. We suggest you to create your own page design layout file (template) for your projects in Page Layout Editor. You can modify the existing template or if you truly wish to start from scratch, you may clear the default template with File -> New or press Ctrl+N on your keyboard.
5. To begin adding elements, right click onto the layout and select your desired element (text, line, bitmap, etc). We are going to add our company logo on default template. Right click onto the schematic sheet layout and select Add bitmap. Select the logo and click on Open button.
6. Make sure that Origin is Lower Right and click on OK button. Move the logo to desired position and click with your mouse. Please note that the properties for this element can be edited in the Properties menu to the right. To manually move an element, scroll over it with your cursor, and press M on your keyboard.
7. Go to File -> Save As or press Ctrl+Shift+S on your keyboard to save your page design layout file (template).
8. Click on Show title block in edit mode icon. Native” display mode: pagelayout special view mode will be activated. The native texts are entered in Page layout editor, with their format symbols. You can also go back to user display mode: pagelayout normal view mode in which title block displayed like in Eeschema and Pcbnew – just click on the icon from the left.
9. Texts can be simple strings or can include format symbols. Format symbols are replaced by the actual values in Eeschema or Pcbnew. They are like format symbols in printf function. A format symbol is % followed by 1 letter. The %C format has one digit (comment identifier). Formats symbols are:
- %% = replaced by %
- %K = KiCad version
- %Z = paper format name (A4, USLetter …)
- %Y = company name
- %D = date
- %R = revision
- %S = sheet number
- %N = number of sheets
- %Cx = comment (x = 0 to 9 to identify the comment)
- %F = filename
- %P = sheet path (sheet full name, for Eeschema)
- %T = title
For example, “Size: %Z” displays “Size: A4”
10. Close the Page layout Editor and click on Schematic Layout Editor(Eeschema) button.
11. Go to File – > Page Settings or click on Edit Page Settings icon.
12. You can define the sheet size and orientation, add/modify the content of the title block. Select the date and click on <<< button to add date, fill in the other fields with your text. Click on Browse.. button, find the previously saved page design layout file (template) and click on Open button. Click on OK button.You can see that the company logo is already existing in your title block together with other information.
We have learnt how to create or modify the title block of the schematic sheet in KiCad v5
Thank you for reading and supporting us.
- See attachments on the beginning of this project description.